Ending your tenancy

This section explains the steps you need to take if you wish to end your tenancy and vacate the property.

How to end your tenancy with Watford Community HousingHousekeys

Your Tenancy Agreement requires you to give us four weeks' notice in writing (expiring on a Monday), stating that you wish to end your tenancy.

First, you need to complete a Notice of Termination of Tenancy form. You can either download the form, complete it online or request the form to be sent to you by calling 0800 2182247. 

Notice of Tenancy Termination

The Notice period will start from the date the completed form is received.

In the event of the death of a tenant, the Next of Kin or Executor of the tenant’s estate is required to give four weeks written notice using the same form. We will also need a copy of the death certificate and if you are acting as Executor of the tenant's estate, we will require proof of this.

What happens once you have given written notice

When we have received your notice, we will telephone to arrange a convenient time to visit you. This is to carry out an inspection of the property and is also an opportunity for you to ask any particular questions about ending your tenancy.

The inspection will also highlight any repairs that may be required. If these repairs are our responsibility we will arrange for them to be carried out. If they are your responsibility, we will discuss timescales for the repairs to be completed before you move.

There may be items you wish to leave in the property, most commonly carpets/laminate flooring, curtains and certain fixtures and fittings. If they are in good condition, it may be agreed they can be left.

How you should leave the property

The property should be returned with full vacant possession and left in a clean and tidy condition. All goods and effects not belonging to Watford Community Housing should be removed, unless agreed in writing.

We appreciate that if you are the Next of Kin or Executor of a deceased tenant’s estate, you may find yourself having to carry out a full property clearance. Although we do not provide a clearance service, there are organisations that may be able to help you, details of which can be found below.

If you wish to recycle unwanted furniture, the following local charities may be able to help you:

Watford Borough Council - Bulky waste collection service

This service will collect up to 3 non-electrical, bulky items for £29, which can be paid for at booking using a credit/debit card. There is a 50% discount for residents receiving council-related benefits (proof required). 

Further details can be found at https://www.watford.gov.uk/info/20015/rubbish_and_recycling/81/  

Watford New Hope Trust
General Enquiries email: info@wnht.org
Tel: 01923 210680

Nine Lives Furniture
For more information visit: http://www.9livesfurniture.org.uk/
Tel: 01923 718666

For more information visit: http://www.facebook.com/DEBRAretail
Tel: 01923 804241

Peace Hospice
For more information visit http://www.peacehospicecare.org.uk  
Tel: 0208 420 1525

When and where should I return my keys?

The keys should be returned to our offices at 59 Clarendon Road before midday on the Monday on which the tenancy ends. If there is a delay with your move, it is important that you inform us as soon as possible.

The keys should be clearly labelled and marked for the attention of the Housing Options team. If you have any difficulty returning the keys, you can post them to us, or in some cases we may be able to collect them from you or a local friend or neighbour.


Rent will continue to be charged until your keys are returned and you must clear any balance outstanding on your rent account.

Where the tenant has died and was in receipt of Housing Benefit, this will usually stop from the date of the death. Full rent will then be payable. Any rent outstanding will be charged to the Tenant's estate, you will need to discuss with the Rent Team (01923 209111) about paying this from the estate.

How to claim compensation for improvements you have made to the property

If you have made improvements to your home, such as installing central heating, you may be eligible for compensation. This will depend on the type of work, the value and when it was done. Claims must be submitted within 14 days of your tenancy ending. The quickest way to make a claim is to fill in the details on the online Notice of Tenancy Termination form above.

Repair and Replacement costs

If you do not carry out any repairs or replacements we request, you may be charged for the work we undertake. Please see the table below for an estimate of these costs. 

voids costs

NB: These are estimated costs, charges will depend on scale. 

What else should you do?

  • You should let the Council Tax department know so that they can change their records. (Watford Borough Council 01923 226400 or Three Rivers District Council 01923 776611).
  • Make sure you take readings of the gas and electricity meters and contact the suppliers to let them know you are moving.
  • Redirect any mail at the Post Office.
  • For safety reasons, you should arrange for a qualified electrician or gas fitter to disconnect the cooker.
  • Transfer your TV licence to your new address, telephone TV Licensing on 0300 790 0368.  

If you have any questions or would like to discuss anything further please call 0800 2182247.