Your home

Your tenancy

We want to make sure you get the most out of life as a Watford Community Housing tenant. Your tenancy begins when you sign an agreement with us and ends when you move out.

Although you won’t need to think about your tenancy every day, it’s important to understand the key parts of the agreement you’ve signed with us, so that everything runs smoothly. 

Your housing officer

Each of our community areas has its own housing officer, who will be out and about in your neighbourhood. This means you have a dedicated person to contact, especially for more complicated enquiries, and they will be able to visit you at home to provide any support you need from us.

You can speak to your housing officer about anything – from your rent account and tenancy, to neighbourhood issues and anti-social behaviour.

You can find out who your housing officer is here.

Your rights and responsibilities

Your tenancy agreement sets out our responsibilities as your landlord, as well as your legal rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

These include paying your rent and other charges on time, allowing us access for repairs and safety checks (such as an annual gas safety inspection), and ensuring that you do not cause nuisance or annoyance to other people living in your neighbourhood.

For a full introduction to what you can expect from us as a landlord, as well as information on what we expect from you, check out our service standards.

You can also find out exactly what we do and don’t repair for your tenancy type in our repairs guide.

Managing your tenancy and updating your details

You can manage many aspects of your tenancy online, including reporting repairs, checking your rent account and making payments.

If something changes in your household which could affect your tenancy – such as a birth, death, marriage or relationship breakdown – it’s up to you to let us know. It’s also important that we have up-to-date contact details for the people on your tenancy.

You can update your tenancy details with us using your online account or by giving us a call on 0800 2182247.

To update your name on our records, you will also need to fill out this form here to let us know: Notification of tenant's change of name  

Succession rights

In the event of the death of a tenant, the tenancy will be passed to the tenant's spouse. An unmarried partner or same sex partner has the same rights as a married couple. If the tenant is unmarried and there is no partner, another close family member may be entitled to succeed to the tenancy. A close family member is a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece.

To be entitled to claim succession, an applicant will need to provide proof that they have lived at the property for a minimum of 12 months before the death of the tenant. The application for succession must be made within three months of the death of the tenant.

Except where the applicant for succession is a spouse, we may require the successor to move to more suitable alternative accommodation if we find that the current property does not match their housing need.

To apply for a succession of tenancy, please print and fill out the application for succession of tenancy form here and bring it in to our offices on Clarendon Road to discuss. 

For further information, please contact the Neighbourhood Services team. Email or call 0800 218 2247.

Assignment application

Assignment is when a tenant passes on their tenancy to another eligible member of their household. This will depend on the type of tenancy you hold, so you should speak with your Neighbourhood Officer to see if you are eligible. We will then need permission from both parties (you, and the household member you would like to assign the tenancy to).

To apply to assign your tenancy, both you and the household member you wish to assign the tenancy to, will need to complete one of our assignment application forms (see sections which apply to you) and return them to or to our offices on Clarendon Road.