About your tenancy

tenant form with glasses

The tenancy agreement you sign when you receive the keys to your new home is a contract between you and Watford Community Housing.  It contains details of your rights and obligations to us as your landlord.

If you require more information or there is any aspect of your tenancy condition that is not clear to you, please contact your neighbourhood services team on neighbourhoodservicesteam@wcht.org.uk or call 0800 2182247.

Succession Rights

In the event of the death of a tenant, the tenancy will be passed to the tenant's spouse. An unmarried partner or same sex partner has the same rights as a married couple. If the tenant is unmarried and there is no partner, another close family member may be entitled to succeed to the tenancy. A close family member is a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece.

To be entitled to claim succession, an applicant will need to provide proof that they have resided at the property for a minimum of 12 months before the death of the tenant. The application for succession must be made within 3 months of the death of the tenant.

Except where the applicant for succession is a spouse, we may require the successor to move to an alternative and more suitable accommodation if we assess that the current property does not meet their housing need.

For further information, please contact the Neighbourhood Team on neighbourhoodservicesteam@wcht.org.uk

Click here for the application form: 

Succession of Tenancy

Assignment of Tenancy- Mutual Exchange

Landlord and tenancy law permits you to assign (transfer) your tenancy in the following cases:

  • Mutual exchange
  • Assignment to a potential successor
  • Where a court has made a property transfer order in matrimonial or family law proceedings


Mutual Exchange

This is a house or flat swap arranged by two or more tenants who want to exchange properties. You can swap homes within the district or outside. You can swap home with existing Watford Community Housing tenants or any other tenant of a council or registered social landlord. It is often the quickest way of moving home. Mutual exchange is ideal if you want to move to another area or are low priority on the housing register.

You will need the permission of both Watford Community Housing and the landlord of the tenant you are swapping with before you can go ahead with the exchange. We would not unreasonably withold permission for you to exchange. Do not exchange or move before you have written permission from your landlord. If you move without permission it could lead to legal action which could mean you lose your home or you are required to return to the original home you moved from.

To find out if anyone is interested in a swap, you can register on the HomeSwapper website here. For further information, click on our leaflet What is a mutual exchange? or contact neighbourhoodservicesteam@wcht.org.uk.

Assignment to a potential successor

This is when a tenant decides to transfer the tenancy to a person who would ordinarily have been entitled to succeed to the tenancy should the tenant have died. This could be a spouse or a close family member. A close family member is a parent, grand parent, child, grand child, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece.

The new tenant is bound by the terms and conditions of the existing tenancy and no new tenancy is implied or created. We will not approve an assignment of tenancy if there has been a previous assignment or succession to the tenancy. The exception to this rule, is for tenants who transferred from Watford Borough Council in 2008 and whose transfer terms included the right to a further assignment or succession even if a previous one had taken place before the transfer. Contact neighbourhoodservicesteam@wcht.org.uk for further information or make a request by filling the form above.


Assignment by order of a court

In certain cases a court may order the transfer of the tenancy to one of the other existing tenant as a result of action taken in matrimonial or family law proceedings. Should you require further information or advice, contact the citizens' advice bureau or seek your own independent legal advice.


Ending your tenancy

To end your tenancy, you need to give us at least 4 weeks notice in writing. If you give less than 4 weeks notice you will be responsible for the payment of 4 weeks rent. You must sign and date the notice and provide a forwarding address. If you are joint tenants, only one joint tenant need give notice and this notice ends this agreement for all joint tenants.