Money advice

Contents insurance

To make a house a home, you fill it with things you love. We recommend that you find a contents insurance deal that will provide you with an affordable way to protect your valuables.

Do I need home contents insurance?

We know that the things you own are a huge part of your life. That’s why we recommend finding a contents insurance scheme to help you protect your possessions.

Fires, floods and theft can happen to anyone, and as Watford Community Housing does not cover your home contents as part of the tenancy agreement, it’s your responsibility to make sure that your belongings are protected in case they are broken, damaged or stolen. Having insurance in place gives you peace of mind that you are covered if the worst were to happen.

What are my options?

You have the option of purchasing cover from any insurance provider. You can contact a trusted provider directly or compare insurance products easily through popular comparison websites – just search ‘compare contents insurance’ on the internet. They can share your request with a number of insurers’ and brokers’ websites to find the cheapest quotes.

Thistle Tenant Risks and Great Lakes Insurance UK Ltd also offer a dedicated home insurance scheme for social housing tenants, in partnership with the National Housing Federation. The My Home Contents Insurance policy has been designed to meet the specific needs of tenants. 

If you purchase this policy, it will be fully administered by Thistle Tenant Risks. Visit for more information – and you can request a call back by completing the form on the ‘contact us’ page.