In the last few months, there have been a lot of changes that mean people may be facing more money worries than ever before. With energy bills and other household costs on the rise, there has been lots of talk about a cost-of-living crisis, and it affects everyone.
We know that some of our customers may be struggling to make ends meet at the moment, and we want you to know that we are here for you. Here are just a number of ways you can get support:
- We recently partnered with Citizens Advice Watford for a new project called Your Money Matters which gives our tenants a fast track to tailored, expert money advice. This service gives you the chance to have free, independent and confidential advice to help you stay on top of your rent and finances. You can get in touch with Citizens Advice Watford by calling 0800 144 8848 or completing the ‘Your Money Matters’ enquiry form. Alternatively, you can contact us and we can make a referral for you.
- StepChange is a charity that provides free advice for people with debt problems, either online or over the phone. You can visit their website for a full range of guides and tools to help you feel more in control of your finances – they will support you for as long as you need their help. Alternatively, you can call them on 0800 138 1111.
- We also have our own brilliant team of Financial Inclusion Officers on hand to give free money and benefits advice to all of our tenants. Our team can meet with you in person, either at our office or your home, or talk to you on the phone to discuss worries in a non-judgmental and safe environment. Some of the things we can do to help include providing Foodbank vouchers if you need them, carrying out affordability checks for new applicants, and making sure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to. You can get in touch with our team by emailing TSupport@wcht.org.uk or calling 0800 218 2247. Feel free to check out our leaflet if you would like more information on our tenancy support services.
- We recommend taking a look at ’90 ways to save’, a guide by MoneySavingExpert Martin Lewis. It is an incredibly useful blog post about how to save money during the current cost-of-living crisis in the UK.
- Watford Credit Union is a local savings and loans provider for people in Watford. Anyone can join as long as they live, work or study within the WD postcode and are 16 or over (although members must be 18 or over to apply for a loan). You can contact them by calling 01923 236401.