Money advice

Contents insurance

To make a house a home, you fill it with things you love. That’s why we offer you a contents insurance deal that will provide you with an affordable way to protect your valuables.

We know that the things you own are a huge part of your life. That’s why we offer a contents insurance scheme in partnership with Allianz Insurance to help you protect your possessions.

Fires, floods and theft can happen to anyone, and it’s your responsibility to make sure that your belongings are protected if something goes wrong. Having insurance in place gives you peace of mind that you are covered if the worst were to happen.

In partnership with Allianz Insurance, we offer our tenants contents insurance that covers your furniture, possessions, decorations and electrical goods, all in one policy. The policy is set at an affordable rate, and you can pay the cost at a pace that suits you – fortnightly, monthly or annually – using direct debit, at a post office or whatever payment method suits you.

This special insurance deal also covers other parts of your home, like external locks (if your keys are lost or stolen) and even the contents of your freezer!

Why do I need it?

We do not cover your contents as part of your tenancy agreement, so it’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for, in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen, so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

My Home Contents Insurance

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. The National Housing Federation My Home Contents Insurance Scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

The contents insurance scheme from Thistle Tenant Risks can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose My Home Contents Insurance

• No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)

• Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks

• Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000)

• Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2000)

• Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible

• Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen

• You don’t need to have special door or window locks

• All postcodes are included

Who is this policy for?
Thistle Tenant Risks’ Contents Insurance scheme has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer, Allianz Insurance plc. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording, which you should read carefully. It is important that you keep your rent account up to date as your policy may be cancelled if you fall into rent arrears.
Based on the information which has been provided to you, if you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you, please contact us.
How do I get further information?
If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can do so by completing an application form or by calling us on 0800 218 2247. Prior to completing the application form, please review the Important Customer Information Document and Insurance Product Information Document. These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance along with key information regarding the insurance cover. 
Please note that the insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.
Complaints process
We always aim to get things right first time and are committed to ensuring that we achieve the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, we would like to hear about it so that we have the chance to put things right for you and to improve our service in the future.
If you have a complaint about the sale or service of your insurance policy, call us on 0800 218 2247  or write to:

Watford Community Housing
Gateway House
59 Clarendon Road
WD17 1LA

Alternatively, a copy of Thistle’s complaints procedure is available on request. For additional information, view our complaints policy.

If you have a complaint relating to your policy, please contact the Allianz Customer Satisfaction Manager at:
Allianz Insurance plc
PO Box 10623
LE18 9HJ
Phone: 0330 102 1781
Fax: 01483 529 717
Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.