Independent living and Flexicare
Looking for a different way of life?
Why not choose an Independent Living or Flexicare home?
If you’re over 55 years old and looking for a safe, secure home in a friendly environment, you’ve come to the right place! We provide Independent Living and Flexicare homes – places to live which also offer the option of a supported lifestyle.
Our homes and the services available there enable you to live independently in your own home, with the added bonuses of security, accessibility, flexibility and a friendly community. Our Independent Living and Flexicare schemes are lovely places to live, with attractive, well-maintained buildings, beautiful gardens and communal lounges for socialising.
With Independent Living and Flexicare schemes in both Watford and Abbots Langley, you can choose the right location to rent a home which will offer you the chance to keep your freedom whilst remaining safe and supported.
All of our schemes offer well-trained, professional staff, who deliver a high standard of service. You don’t have to take our word for it either, as our facilities are accredited by the Centre for Sheltered Housing. At our last assessment, in July 2017, we achieved the Service Excellence Standards accreditation rating of ‘Good’, with some areas being considered excellent.
We all hope to stay active and healthy, but with ageing there is the likelihood of increasing ill health and the possibility of isolation. Leaving decisions until there is a crisis can make things difficult for you and those who care about you. Sometimes moving into a new home while you are still able to enjoy the company of others and do things for yourself can help you to settle in and feel at home. That’s why choosing an Independent Living or Flexicare home at the right time can be the best choice for the future.
We have one-bed, two-bed and studio flats for rent – perfect if you are looking to downsize into something smaller and more manageable.
We’re proud that our Independent Living and Flexicare homes offer:
- Accessibility – Many of our housing blocks have automated door entry and lifts, as well as level access showers. Some also provide communal assisted bathing facilities. All of our new homes are built to the ‘Lifetime Homes’ standard, which ensures that homes are future-proofed and can be adapted to your needs, if they ever change.
- Safety and security – Our schemes have a 24-hour emergency call-out system and secure door entry, to make sure you are always able to reach someone who can help. Our staff also carry out thorough health and safety checks to ensure all equipment is working correctly and safely.
- A lifestyle for a variety of ages – Our schemes cater for a huge selection of people with different needs, with ages ranging from 55 upwards. So whether you’re working or retired, active or chilled out, independent or require more help, there’s something here for every type of lifestyle.
- A friendly, social community – All of our schemes hold regular social activities such as coffee mornings and breakfast clubs. You can get to know your fellow residents, or just dip in and out as you please!
- Freedom, choice and flexibility – You’re free to come and go as you please from our schemes, and you are always able to invite friends and family to visit, with the added option of visitors staying overnight in one of our guest rooms.
- Help at hand – Our scheme staff visit daily and hold weekly scheme ‘drop-in’ sessions, where you can ask for advice or support on any aspect of your tenancy or managing your home.
- Personalised support – We can provide a personalised support service according to your needs, such as daily calls or visits (this is a voluntary service with a small cost).
- The chance to make your own decisions – In an Independent Living or Flexicare home, you’re free to make your own decisions about which services you receive from us, as long as you’re within the boundaries of any tenancy agreements.
Independent Living and Flexicare – what are the differences?
We have two types of accommodation – Independent Living and Flexicare. The accommodation is similar, but there are some differences which might influence your choice.
In Independent Living scheme flats, tenants are free to come and go, and to invite friends to visit, just as they would if they lived elsewhere. These flats contain added security and support for your peace of mind – each flat is connected to a Lifeline alarm system which means that in emergencies you can always call for help.
Independent Living is also about your life outside your home, so there are regular social activities and events, a communal lounge and in most schemes we offer laundry facilities and guest rooms, should you wish to use them.
Health and wellbeing is an important factor of everyone’s lives. We are keen to promote this across the Independent Living service. The focus on health and wellbeing can make a person feel happier, healthier and more involved, as well as raising awareness of important, life-changing skills and information.
In a Flexicare scheme, you will live in your own flat, but with the added bonus of access to 24-hour on-site care and support (there is a separate cost for any commissioned care). Flexicare enables individuals and couples to rent a flat within a safe community, with housing-related support and care services on site. The services are flexible and can be adapted to suit your changing needs, so that you are always in the best situation for your health and wellbeing – for example, our Flexicare schemes have assisted bathrooms.
Flexicare is ideal for those who, due to their environment and physical condition, are finding it gradually more difficult to maintain their home. Flexicare is an alternative way of living which enables you to retain your independence and security for as long as possible.
Our schemes are conveniently located, with access to public transport, shops and amenities nearby. We have 10 schemes in total across Watford and Abbots Langley, including two Flexicare schemes – Dale Court and Rutland Lodge.
How do I apply?
If you would like to apply for an Independent Living or Flexicare home, there are two routes you can take:
1. If you live in Watford now and have done so for five out of the last six years, and you are 60 years of age or older, you can register for housing with Watford Borough Council via Herts Choice Homes until 16th July 2018, when you'll need to register at watford.homeconnections.org.uk. Once registered, you will be able to bid on any of the properties we have advertised on the website.
2. If you are between 55 and 59 years of age and would like to move to Watford to be near to family or friends; or you live in Watford but have not been here for more than five out of the last six years, then you can apply to us directly. Please note, however, that we may not be able to offer you the same amount of choice as those people who have registered with Herts Choice Homes.
Once you have applied, our scheme officers will visit you in your home to complete a home assessment. This will help us to find out more about the type of accommodation and service you need in order to ensure that our services will be suitable for you.
Please note that we cannot accept applications from homeowners.
To apply, please fill out this form and send it to us at 59 Clarendon Road, Watford WD17 1LA.
To find out more about our services or to ask any questions about your application, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 2182247.