Can I make alterations to my home?

Whilst we are usually happy to grant permission for residents to make improvements and additions to their homes, it is important to remember that your tenancy agreement does not permit you to make any alterations without getting written approval first.  helmet and tools

If you are thinking of making any changes to your home, you must get in touch with us beforehand to get permission. If work is carried out without our consent, you will either be required to restore your home to its original condition or we may do the work and charge the cost to you.

Some examples of the types of improvements that you need to get permission for are listed below:

  • Installing central heating or a gas fire
  • Erecting any structure to the front or the rear of your home other than a wooden or glass shed
  • Cutting down any tree or removing any hedge or making any vehicular access from the highway into your home
  • Painting the exterior walls of the property
  • Putting up any radio or television aerial or satellite dish

Before your request for alterations can be considered you will need to fill out this form:  Application for Alterations

Please download and complete the form and then send it to

If you are in any doubt about whether you need our consent, please make sure you get in touch before carrying out the work.

To find out more, please contact your neighbourhood officer or e-mail